REGIONAL CATS' HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS
STARVING CATS. (Barnsley Chronicle, 27th June 1908)
To the Editor of the “Barnsley Chronicle.” Sir, As in most of our cities and in several of our large towns there are “shelters” or receiving homes for lost and starving cats. I am writing to suggest that such an institution should be opened in Barnsley. A “shelter,” as the name implies, is not intended as a permanent home, but a place where all lost cats may be taken free of charge, and where, not claimed within a certain time, they may either be sold to good homes or mercifully destroyed. All ill, diseased, or “not wanted” cats may be taken there, and humanely destroyed on payment of a small sum by those who can afford it. From a humane point of view such an institution is indispensable, and those who have compassion for animal suffering cannot fail to see the advantage to the public, in having their streets and gardens cleared of homeless and diseased animals which wander about lost and uncared for, until they die of starvation or become the victims of some form of cruelty.
To show how such place is required, I need only quote from the report of the Nottingham Cat’s Shelter. It there states that, between January 1 and December 31 of last year, no less than 1,428 cats wore received, whilst at the Sheffield Shelter, during the same period, 2,608 lost and “not wanted cats were admitted. Are there not enough kind-hearted men and women in Barnsley willing to give but the crumbs of charity towards the opening of such a place in their own town? Offers of help have already been received, on condition that others will come forward and lend a helping hand. Will anyone interested in the scheme kindly communicate with the address below. Yours truly, J BARKER, Hon. Treasurer, Sheffield Cat’s Shelter, The Rookery, Broomhall Park, Sheffield
BATH CATS' HOME. A HUMANE WORK. (Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 27th January 1910)
The annual report of the Bath Cats' Home (Thomas Street, Walcot) has just been issued. It states that the Bath Cats' Home and Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats was opened in May, 1906, with the object of relieving the suffering of poor, outcast, starving and unwanted cats, by Mrs. Graham, whose experience the London Cats' Home (the largest and first-established Cats' Home in the country) had led her to believe that until some wise legislation — a tax on cats — was brought into force, to keep a check on the ever-increasing over-population of the feline tribe, it was necessary for private humanitarians to take the matter in hand.
From May, 1906, to July, 1907, no outside financial assistance was received. Then a public appeal was made, but up to the close of 1907 it was necessary for the foundress to bear over £20 of the expenses.
During 1908 a little more interest was taken in the work, but, unfortunately, not sufficient to avoid a deficit of £16 on the year. It was felt that some measures must be taken to try and strengthen the Home, and with this object a Committee was formed, and the present suitable premises taken and fitted up to provide accommodation for strays and boarders. A caretaker was engaged, so that there is always someone on the premises to receive stray cats.
During 1909 the support of the Home has greatly increased, but s glance at the balance sheet will show that it is necessary for all interested in the welfare of poor cats to help much more liberally in the future. Thanks to the great kindness of our President and Vice-President (Mrs. Peel-Floyd and Miss Poole) we close the year with a small balance in hand, so that we start the New Year in a far stronger position than we did in 1909. At that time we had a deficit of £16, and also had to go to the expense of fitting up the premises. Still, it will be seen that, although the Home is better off than it was twelve months ago, there is a necessity to double our income, for it is not just that our President and Vice-President should bear the expenses of the Home, even if they are willing to do so.
The Bath Cats' Home is a public institution, doing a much needed work of mercy in the city. It is the only institution of the kind in Bath and surely there must be enough animal-lovers in and around the city to bear the expense of its upkeep. These expenses are kept down to a minimum, the only salary paid being for a caretaker. As it has been rumoured that salary is paid for the management, it is necessary to publicly deny this untruth, neither Mrs. or Mr. Graham receive any salary for their services, and have never done so. Mrs. Graham still acts as Hon. Manageress, while Mr. Graham undertakes the active part of the management, acts as Secretary, Collector of Subscriptions and of Cats. The only expense for all these services which have been charged to the Home are travelling expenses, which have amounted to about 4s. per week.
During 1909, 369 strays were received at the Home. The best of these are kept with the object of finding good homes for them, and any person requiring a good, useful, domestic cat can generally secure one at reasonable charge if they call at the Home.
BATH SOCIETY FOR PROMOTION OF KINDNESS TO ANIMALS (Cat Gossip 3 April 1929). Of all humanitarian acts, none can ever surpass that of helping a stray starving cat. Our dumb feline friends (and we made them our friends) can sink to the lowest form of absolute abject misery unless that kind person, with a love of, and thought for, an obvious stray cat comes along and helps it in time. Some nine years ago it came about that a certain Mrs. Begg, of Bath, could no longer stand the almost hourly sight of a wretched miserable cat wandering, and being driven from door to door in that city. Her nerves became a tangled jumble as she felt that the small help she could give was not enough to stay the growing number of stray cats. Many another person would have gone no further; not so this indefatigable lady. A short story of her years of work amongst and for stray cats is proof of what may be done elsewhere, and shows, from figures, how many cats have benefited by her proud endeavour.
In 1919, then, when the stray cat question in Bath was a serious problem, Mrs. Begg rented a house and installed a caretaker, for the sole purpose of housing and caring for stray cats! It naturally cost money, and, equally as naturally, funds soon became necessary to enable the work to continue. It is not here necessary to detail all the difficulties which presented themselves in endeavouring to house cats, strange ones remember, in this manner. Difficulties were bound to, and did, occur, but our valiant stalwart carried on, appealed for funds, got a small sum, and moved to a larger and better equipped house. These early years were a rooting of what is now one of the largest animal societies (pro rata for population) in the West of England. You have its title above.
The present day sees its headquarters at what is known as The Garden Home for Dogs and Cats, Greenway Lane, Bath. The address alone suggests comfort and happiness! The house has three and a half acres on a southerly slope, can house comfortably about seventy cats and fifty dogs. All this has not come about just for the asking — finding it doubly difficult to continue in the second establishment, owing to the large number of cats received, and the large number of dogs that couldn’t be received, there being no accommodation for them. A strong appeal for help was made, but lo! the people of any city have many charities to support, and, after all, cats to the many are objects of scorn, or targets for buckets of water, etc. What was to be done?
A work of this description, once started, could not be stopped. Admiration for her act in a crisis is very justly due to Mrs. Begg; she personally paid deposit on purchase price of above mentioned three and a half acres, mortgaged the balance, erected buildings and kennels by personally calling on shopkeepers, etc., for small donations to assist her, she was thus able four years ago to induce a titled lady friend to attend and take the chair at an opening ceremony. The Home today is a revelation of how cats can be made comfortable and happy. All the catteries have central heating, wired-in out-of-doors runs for fine weather, and personal attention of two very great animal lovers. No hour is too early or too late to receive a stray dog or cat, they are always welcomed. Lethal boxes have been given, so that any stray that is badly diseased or obviously beyond human aid is mercifully and painlessly put to sleep with chloroform. It is impossible with such small space to give particulars of the wonderful work that is being done. Mrs. Begg now has a committee of twelve, who assist in obtaining donations and subscriptions and furthering the good cause in and around the city. The grind is a daily one, but hear, oh reader, the other side of the story. Last year over one thousand animals were taken in and cared for, over four hundred were destroyed, owners were found in many cases and their pets restored, new owners were found for others, and are visited quarterly by a committee lady! And still the debt on the original mortgage stands at over £400.
The populace of Bath is being educated to the help required by stray animals and places that care for them. Every day three or four cats are collected per push bicycle, and a card to the Manager at the Home always brings him along with advice or help. Whatever epitaph Mrs. Begg may eventually have, she will certainly deserve nothing finer than: “A devoted worker to the duty of loving care and kindness to homeless, starving animals.” Finally, do not forget, whenever you are in Bath, that visitors are always welcome and shown over the Home of The Bath Society for Promotion of Kindness to Animals.
LOST AND STARVING CATS.—The Manageress of the Animals' Home, Wellington-road, writes "Amongst all the jubilation and festivity with which the Coronation is to be celebrated, may I again plead in your valuable paper on behalf of the dumb — those who have so few helpers. The Home for Lost and Starving Cats at Parkstone already needs extending, for, alas, the old tale is told over and over of owners leaving their cats when they change their residence to starve, and they are often shut in empty houses. The Home takes in these poor creatures; also injured animals, and these are mercifully destroyed. We do not ask for luxuries, the strictest economy is practised. We only plead that we may not quite forgotten during the national jubilation, and that some crumbs may fall from kind hands help carry the good work Visitors are cordially invited to inspect the Home, and the smallest sum will lie gratefully received by the hon, manageress." (Western Gazette, 20th June 1902)
BOURNEMOUTH SHELTER FOR LOST CATS. ADDRESS BY LADY PENDER. (Bournemouth Daily Echo, 17th November 1905) In connection with the bazaar held yesterday at the Central Hall in aid of the Bournemouth and District Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats, a meeting was held during the afternoon to hear an address by Lady Pender on the objects of the work. Mr. Arthur J. Coke (Chairman of the Committee), presided, being accompanied the platform by Lady Pender, General Mallaby, Sir Digby Murray, Bart., Rev. T. Perkins (Blandford), the Hon. Mrs. Pleydell-Bouverie, Mrs. R. Badeley, and others. There was a good attendance, consisting principally of ladies.
Lady Pender, having remarked that was pleasure to speak on behalf of the cats’ refuge, confessed to having a warm corner in her heart for the nice, domestic, peaceful cat. A nice, fat, plump, pretty pussy sitting the fire purring while the kettle was singing on the hob made a picture in any home. No animal stood so much in need of kindness, and no animal so well repaid it. It seemed to her incredible that people having made a pet of this animal, having used it to clear the house of mice or amuse the children, could be so inhumane when they left home or changed their residence, to leave their pet to stray, to be subjected to cruelty, and to starve. When cats were thus left to stray they would remain near the house for several days, and then going in search of food would the object of cruelty by thoughtless boys and men; boys throwing stones at it, and men setting their dogs on it, with result that would seek refuge in some garden to await a miserable death from its wounds, or from starvation. But this was not a fancy picture, it was happening every day. All compassionate people should make it their business to tell their friends in plain language what cruelty they were thus inflicting by their thoughtlessness. The fear of hurting their friends’ feelings should not deter them from telling their friends in language strong enough make them uncomfortable when they thought of them. No man or woman could be considered human who did not treat their pet animals properly. There was absolutely no excuse for this cruelty, for it could all be avoided if persons who did not wish to keep their cat any longer would take it to a chemist, and at the cost of threepence for prussic acid [cyanide] give it a peaceful death. People who said they did not wish to be so cruel as to do that, were Judases, having more regard for their own feelings than for their cat. There was absolutely no cruelty in thus killing a cat.
In other remarks, Lady Pender said she would like to see tax put cats, if only that thoughtless people would not then keep them. It would also reduce their number, for there were at present too many cats. In destroying kittens they should keep only the males if any were to be kept, and the others should be destroyed before they were more than a few hours old. It was, she thought, a shameful disgrace to a place like Bournemouth that there should any need for a cats’ shelter. But as it was needed, she hoped it would be used for giving the animals a painless death, and for looking after those who would otherwise stray during the absence of their owners.
The Rev. T. Perkins also gave an address, and Mr. Coke spoke of the objects of the Dumb Friends’ League with which he is associated. Lady Pender was presented with a bouquet, the presentation being made by the daughter of Inspector Booth, R.S.P.C.A.
THE PLEA FOR CATS. (Western Daily Press, 4th November 1905) Sir,— I have read with interest the two letters that appeared in your columns suggesting a separate home for lost and starving cats, and one which appears in to-day’s paper stating that the writer had destroyed a number of cats. Your correspondent is probably not aware that the Bristol Dogs Home, which was established over 18 years ago, has always had separate compartments for the reception of stray cats, and many of our subscribers support the institution for this purpose. In consequence of cats, when a number are confined together, contracting influenza, and although every effort was made to crush this disease, my committee reluctantly came to the conclusion that they would not receive cats in the home as boarders, but that the home would, heretofore, be open for the reception strays, and immediately upon a request being made at the home a keeper is sent to fetch the cat, for which no charge is made. If a cat is specially sent by its owner to be destroyed, the fee is 2s 6d, except on Fridays, when it is 1s. When cats are sent to the home as strays no charge is made for destroying. I do not know what process your correspondent destroyed the 80 cats he referred to, but from experience, when amateurs attempt this function it is generally the chemist's shop and prussic acid, whereas at our institution we have the lethal chamber, which has been acknowledged by several of the leading anaesthetic doctors in Bristol to be a painless operation. I shall therefore be glad if you will give publicity to this letter, so that the citizens of Bristol are not under the impression that although cats are not received as boarders strays are refused. Yours truly, EDWARD T. PARKER, Hon. Sec.
SHELTER FOR LOST AND STARVING CATS. Bristol, Bath and West of England Branch. Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 12th January 1911
The annual report and balance sheet of the above Institution (The Bristol Cats' Home Park Row, Bristol), just issued, shows the good progress made by this useful and humane work, the Bristol Home was founded by Mrs. Graham in December, 1907, and during these three years has been the means of rescuing 3,341 poor, starving and unwanted cats from the miseries and cruelties the streets. The Bath Home, which Mrs. Graham founded in May, was amalgamated last June with the Bristol Home, for the four years' work in Bath had proved that it was impossible to get sufficient financial support to cover the expenses connected with the work and the Committee felt themselves compelled to close the premises in Thomas Street. It was decided, however, that the stray cats of Bath should not suffer through this, but that the rescue work should be continued through the home in Bristol. It is gratifying to learn that the arrangement is working very successfully, for during the past six months 164 Bath stray cats have been received at the Park Row Institution, making a total over 2,000 strays rescued in Bath through Mrs. Graham's work since May, 1906. Anyone finding a lost or stray cat is invited to pack it in small hamper or box (ventilated) and send it, per rail, addressed, "Bristol Cats' Home, Park Row, Bristol," where it will be received absolutely free of charge. The carriage is only 6d., and if the sender really cannot afford to pay that, Mrs. Graham will do so. It is, however, hoped that all who can will pay the carriage, and any donation they can afford to send will also be most acceptable towards the expenses connected with the work. As it is quite impossible to get the residents in some poor districts to take this small amount of trouble on behalf of the poor cats, and as the quantity of homeless cats in such districts is greater than in the more fashionable quarters and their condition more pitiful, Mr. Graham visits Bath once or twice weekly and collects strays from these parts of the city. Although the premises in Bath have been closed, the good work originated by Mrs. Graham five years ago is still being continued and full provision is made to relieve Bath of its starving, unwanted felines.
Referring to the annual report, we find that the work progressing most favourably. Mrs. Graham endeavours to make the Home as self-supporting as possible, and it is interesting to note that the larger portion of the income is derived from work done, such as cats boarded, sold, or destroyed. These items amount to £90 for the year, the subscriptions and donations amounting to £62. The only labour charged in the expenses is for caretaker and messenger, Mr. and Mrs. Graham continuing to give their labours towards the good work. Amongst the subscribers it is gratifying to find the President, Vice- President and all the Committee of the late Thomas Street Home. Subscribers to the work in Bath during the past year will note that the names of those who subscribed previous to June do not appear in the subscription list, these monies having been used in settling the affairs at Thomas Street. Subscriptions since June are, however, shown in the list and the Committee trust that the names of all past subscribers will appear in the list of the coming year.
As the work is being extended throughout the whole of the West of England it is to be hoped that all lovers of animals will subscribe as liberally as possible. A new feature for the benefit of poor people's pets is being introduced in the shape of sick benefit tickets. One ticket is given with each 5s. subscription. The ticket will entitle the holder to advice and medicine (from Mrs. Graham, M.N.A.V.S., cat and dog expert) for one sick pet (cat or dog) and it is hoped that subscribers will give these tickets to poor people who could not afford to pay for veterinary advice for their pets. Those using tickets are asked to write giving fullest possible particulars of symptoms of ailment, also state how the pet is fed. Mrs. Graham will post medicine and fullest advice per return.
Friends are invited to visit the premises in Park Row any day, from 2 to 5 o'clock. All communications and subscriptions should be addressed to Mrs. Graham, Bristol Cats' Home, Park Row, Bristol.
CHELTENHAM CATS’ HOME, SHELTER, AND HOSPITAL (Gloucestershire Echo, 12th September 1911)
TO THE EDITOR OF THE “ECHO.” Sir, — Allow me to make an urgent appeal to the inhabitants of Cheltenham to help me to carry on this very humane and noble work. The object of this institution is to give a shelter to lost and starving cats, and to put to sleep (free of charge) all diseased animals, and find homes for healthy ones. A home is also offered to owners’ pets during their absence from home. Donations and annual subscriptions are urgently needed to defray the cost of fitting the home with cages, wired-in runs, lethal chambers, etc., etc. Visitors are cordially invited. (MRS.) ROSE WALKER. 1 St, James’s-parade, Cheltenham.
CARE FOR SICK CATS (Argus Leader, 6th January 1890)
An Institution in Ireland for the Treatment of Maimed and Disabled Felines. An appeal for contributions to an unusual and peculiar charity appears in The Animal World, to which lovers of the feline race will doubtless respond with alacrity. It seems that the home for “starving and forsaken cats,” founded about four years ago by Miss Swifte, is sadly in need of money to carry on its humane und eminently practical and necessary work. While babies starve in the tenements, the cat’s retreat is maintained and supported in such a manner that every kitten receives personal attention and interest, and none are allowed to leave the home unless guarantee is made that they will better their condition.
This home is built at Whitechurch lodge, Rathfarnham, County Dublin, and its object is to protect cats against brutal neglect and actual torture, to nurse them in sickness, and support them when forsaken, and to this work Miss Swifte gives her personal supervision and attention, together with such devotion as only enthusiastic women bestow upon the particular cause they espouse.
This worthy lady has received much odium as pioneer in a new enterprise outside the line of popular approval invariably experienced, but, pinning her faith to the queen's sentiment that “no civilization is complete which does not include the dumb and defenceless of God’s creatures within the sphere of charity and mercy,” she maintains by sustained effort the work she considers paramount, and of which we subjoin an account, published in her fourth annual report:
“The friends and subscribers of this institution will learn with satisfaction that it maintains its position in every sense of the word. We are enabled to state it has held its ground through adverse times and continues to be a progressive work. We have brought it successfully to the close of its fourth year, not without having had often stern difficulties to face; however, we can, in all truth, say that many a poor cat has been saved from brutal treatment or a similar death by finding an ever ready welcome and shelter within its walls, while others have been received there, rescued from deplorable wretchedness, misery and starvation. During 1888, 326 cats and kittens were received into the stray department, as against 204 in the previous year.
“Space will only permit us to describe a few of the most glaring cases, while in a general way we can mention that numbers are brought in wounded or more or less maimed by boys, dogs, men, traps, poison, etc. These are among the enemies this particular race of animals has to contend with every day, and yet there are acts of parliament to protect them from all. One creature was brought in with the flesh severely lacerated on both sides. One cat was brought in with its back broken and unable to stand: this creature was in great suffering; we knew recovery was impossible, and therefore it was immediately destroyed. Several were brought in With an eye knocked out with the blow of a stone. One was thrown into the grounds with legs paralyzed; one with its leg much bruised by a trap; this cat recovered and got a good country home in England, the gentleman, in whom we had every confidence, taking it over himself, along with a valuable Persian that had boarded for eight weeks in the home.
“We are quite aware that our work is derided by some, but we do not in the least care what people think or say. We are above that kind of folly; being convinced that our cause is a righteous one; that is sufficient for us. We invite all who deride such a work to suggest a remedy that would create a better state of things for cats or one that could lessen a manifest evil, seeing they (cats) have a right to protection. We think we can have no loftier aim than in carrying out the wish of our queen on this subject, which are quite d'accord with our own, and directing our efforts in an special manner toward subduing the sufferings of this race of animals, which her majesty has been graciously pleased to single out for special mention in order to elevate them.”
With visions of ravaged larders and depleted supplies, with remembrance of midnight serenades when Tommy meets his Tabby upon the garden wall to touch our hearts and loosen our purse-strings, we wish success and prosperity to the cats’ retreat and kittens’ shelter.
REWARD. Freeman's Journal, 4th June 1891
Reward, £5; on April 30th, a tabby male cat was brought to the home for Lost and Starving Cats having been found straying in Hatch-street, after recently undergoing a cruel operation; the iris of each eye had been scientifically excised; no injury had been done to the remaining portion of the eyes, nor was there any bruise or other wound on the animal; the above reward will be paid to any person giving such information as will lead to the conviction of the offender. Apply Manager Cats’ Home, Grand Canal quay, or to Miss Swifte, Whitechurch Lodge, Rathfarnham (Dublin).
DUBLIN SOCIETIES. (Waterford Standard, 16th December 1950) The good work of the D.S.P.C.A., which runs the Cats’ and Dogs’ Home at Grand Canal St., Dublin, is well known. New kennels have been added to accommodate the increase in Dublin’s animal population, A comparison of the numbers received in 1936 and 1949 may help us to realise how urgent the problem is becoming in our capital. 1936: there were admitted 9,264 cats; 1949; there were admitted 16,050 cats.
GLASGOW DOG AND CAT HOME (ANNUAL MEETING) Glasgow Herald, 20th December 1899
Of 227 boarded cats received during the year, 174 were returned to their owners, 35 died, 8 were left in the home for disposal, 3 destroyed by request of owners, 4 escaped, and 4 remained in the home at the end of the years.
Of 279 stray cats, only 1 was claimed, 44 were given away to good homes for small fees, generally at the purchasers’ pleasure [i.e. donations], 225 were destroyed by means of the lethal chamber as being old, diseased, and useless; and 21 were left in the home at the close of the year.
[. . .] In the course of discussion it was suggested that the home might be popularised by holding a dog and cat show.
HASTINGS & ST. LEONARDS
CATS’ HOME AT HOLLINGTON. AN INTERESTING INSTITUTION. APPEAL FOR SUPPORT. - Hastings and St Leonards Observer, 10th June 1905
Comparatively few residents in Hastings and St. Leonards know of the existence of an interesting little institution at Victoria-cottage, Hollington, known the Cats’ Home. It is a Committee of ladies, with Miss O’Neill and Mrs. Willmott as joint hon. secretaries and treasurers, and it is really well worth a visit. The house is open to receive boarders, that is to say, people going away can place their cats in the home to looked after, and boarded. Stray cats are also taken and kept for certain time. Diseased cats are instantly destroyed by chloroform. There is no charge for receiving stray cats, but the home is, of course, always glad to receive donations, and here we may say that the Committee will be grateful for increased support. All contributions, either in money or for rummage sales, which are held twice a year, and are the main stay of the home, will be thankfully received by Miss O’Neill at 9, Blomfield-road, St. Leonards, and Mrs. Willmott, at 3, Pelham-street, Hastings. One of these rummage sales was held in the St. Matthew’s Parish Room Thursday last, and the proceeds amounted to £15. The stall-holders and helpers were: Mrs. Willmott and the Misses Powell, Garforth, Weller, Relton, Vaughan-Arbuckle, and O’Neill. The home is open to the public for inspection every afternoon, Sundays excepted, and it deserves to be more widely known. We may add that there is a resident caretaker who will be pleased to show visitors round, and also that the home is visited by Mr. Woodruffe Hill, veterinary surgeon, who kindly gives[donates] his services.
CATS’ HOME FOR IPSWICH. ([Ipswich] Evening Star, 8th February 1908)To the Editor. Sir, — I was pleased to notice a suggestion that there should be home for lost and starving cats in Ipswich. So many large towns have an institution for cats, and while Ipswich has a dogs’ home, there is no provision made for the poor wretched creatures about our streets who have no means of subsistence, or those who are cruelly left unprovided for during the holiday season, when their owners are away. The Royal Institution at Camden Town do splendid work in various ways. (1) Receives and collects homeless and diseased cats and painlessly destroys them. (2) Provides a temporary home for lost cats. (3) Boards cats at a moderate weekly charge while their owners are away. It would be excellent if some ladies who are lovers of animals could take the matter up, and have a home started on similar lines in Ipswich if only in a small wav at first. Possibly the R.S.P.C.A. might do something, and thereby add to its good work. If anything definite can be done, I shall be pleased to offer to subscribe annually to such a good and deserving institution.
THE LEEDS CATS’ SHELTER. (Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 15th July 1911)
To the Editor of The Yorkshire Post. Sir, — May I be allowed, on behalf of the Committee of the above to draw the attention of the readers of “The Yorkshire Post” to the change of address of the Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats in Leeds? We have long felt the need of a more commodious and convenient place than that hitherto used as the shelter, and having found premises which will better meet our requirements, have decided to move into them once.
The new shelter is conveniently situated in No. 35, King’s Road, and being only a few minutes’ walk from the junction of Moorland Road and Hyde Road, is within easy reach of the tramcars. A further advantage of the new premises over the old ones is a small piece of ground attached to the shelter, which will give the cats, and especially the boarder cats entrusted to our care, some chance of exercise. We have secured the services a caretaker, who, we have every reason to believe, is well fitted for the post. She has had great experience in the management of cats in health and in sickness, having been a successful exhibitor at various cat shows.
A removal of this sort cannot be made without expense, and as the rent of the new premises is considerably more than has been paid before, further help is needed to carry on the work. Therefore the Committee ventures to appeal very earnestly to all those who are interested in this work, and who have at heart the welfare of creatures who are so powerless to help themselves. Many kind supporters of the shelter have given most generous help, for which the Committee is very grateful, but we are now compelled to ask for further contributions, and we should be most thankful for an increase in the number of regular subscribers to the shelter. All subscriptions and donations from the smallest sums upwards will be gratefully received and acknowledged by the hon. treasurer, Miss Tatham, Hogarth, Far Headingley, Leeds. Yours, etc., E. H. FORD, President, Adel Grange, July 14, 1911.
STRAY CATS. (Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 17th June 1904) To the Editor of the "Manchester Courier." Sir, —Will you allow me to announce through your columns the opening of a second shelter for lost and starving cats at 84, Booth-street, Upper Medlock-street, Hulme, under the management of the same committee as the Cheetham Shelter? The number of wretched animals received at the original shelter (11, St. Thomas's-place, Stanley-street, Cheetham Hill) has proved so overwhelming — 3l5 during the last month alone — that it has been found necessary to start another in a different part of the town. The funds now available will not be sufficient, to carry it on, and we very earnestly ask your readers to give liberally to the support of these merciful and much needed institutions. Yours, etc, On behalf of the committee, J.M. GREG, Hawthorn Hall, Wilmslow.
NOTTINGHAM CAT SHELTER. FORMALLY OPENED BY THE SHERIFF. (Nottingham Evening Post, 5th April 1906) A very deserving charity, the Nottingham Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats, Lenton-street, Hyson Green, of which the president is the Duchess of Portland, became officially a public institution this afternoon, when it was formally opened by the Sheriff of Nottingham, Councillor S. Cook. The shelter is the outcome of rescue work carried on for cats by the Misses Marriott at their own house in Lenton-street. A register was opened in 1899, and in the following year 70 cats were brought in. That number increased to 487 in 1905, the total to date taken being 1,100, and new premises adjoining had to be acquired for the work. These have been in use for about six months, and strays have been brought from all parts. Lost and stray cats, old cats, injured or diseased cats are painlessly killed by chloroform, the healthy lost animals being kept a few days in case their owners inquire for them, and in addition, in a distinct department, away from the strays, cats are received as "boarders" while their owners are away. An income of about £60 a year is required for the work. Mr. J. E. Catton (treasurer) presided at the opening ceremony, which was well attended, and the Sheriff commended the institution worthy of public support.
CATS AND EPIDEMIC DISEASES. DO THEY SPREAD ECZEMA IN NOTTINGHAM SCHOOLS? (Nottingham Evening Post, 6th April 1911)
The annual meeting of the society which opened the shelter for lost and starving cats in Nottingham was held at the Exchange Hall this afternoon, ample reasons were given why the dumb and defenceless of God’s creatures should be included within the sphere of charity and mercy. Miss Haywood presided, and was supported' by Mr. C. H. Torr, Rev. G. R. Hartley, Dr. K. Black, and E. Morton. The report stated that the Nottingham Cats’ Shelter was founded in November, 1904, with the object of lessening as far as possible the terrible amount of suffering endured by cats through neglect, cruelty and carelessness, and to receive and collect homeless, injured, and diseased cats. During the past year 1,634 cats had been received, many of them in the most pitiful condition. Humane education was sorely needed amongst all classes.
In moving the adoption of the report, Miss Haywood referred to the efforts which were being made in the city to ally education and kindness to animals, and observed that the degrading diagrams of dissected animals which appeared on the walls of some of the schools had been removed. It seemed sad that such institutions as the cats’ shelter should be necessary, but they found it almost hopeless to educate some people, who were morally colour blind, and actually seemed to derive pleasure from inflicting cruelty upon a living victim. Miss Haywood spoke of the way stray cats could carry disease, and declared that several unpleasant attacks of contagious eczema had spread like wildfire in the city schools. It was attributed to rats, but she thought sick cats had much to answer for, and a society which sheltered such animals was doing valuable work. It was not merely a kind-hearted fad, but a very necessary institution. (Applause.)
Rev. G. R. Hartley, in seconding, regretted that many people who would scorn to injure a dog or horse, believed they were doing mankind service by wanton cruelty to cats. They seemed to have a traditional hatred and prejudice against cats, and for that reason saw no wrong in ill-treating them. The resolution was carried unanimously. Mr. E. Morton presented the statement accounts, which showed a balance in hand of £5 3s. 4d. The officers were re-elected, and the usual votes Of thanks were accorded.
LIFE FOR CHARITY. MISS L. MARRIOTT’S WORK FOR CATS (Nottingham Journal, 17th June 1927)
The annual meeting was held at the Cats’ Shelter, Lenton-street, on 14 June. The Chairman, Mr. H. W. Allen, in opening the meeting, said he could not let the opportunity pass without expressing his deep appreciation and admiration of the wonderful self-denial and charity of the late Miss Lydia Marriott, who, with her two sisters, had begun and carried on the home for the rescue of lost and starving cats for many years. They had devoted their lives and small fortune to this work. Although in her 97th year, Miss Lydia Marriott carried on this great work of painlessly destroying lost, starving and ill-used cats, a great work acknowledged only by so very few. Mr. Morton, the hon. treasurer, was thanked for the unequalled services rendered to Miss Marriott and the society for many years. Subscriptions and donations will thankfully be received by the hon. treasurer or secretary at 20, Lenton-street, Hyson Green
£2,000 LEFT FOR CATS. (Gloucester Citizen, 22nd July 1927) Miss Lydia Eliza Marriott, of Lenton-street, Hyson Green, Nottingham, who died on April 20th, at the age of 96 years, left £2,363. The residue of her property, about £2,000, she left in trust "to establish and carry on a shelter for lost and starving cats, provided such shelter shall not be used as hospital for cats and kittens, nor used for breeding and rearing, nor for the purpose of trading cats and kittens, and no cat or kitten shall disposed of for the purpose of vivisection, it being her express wish and intention that such shelter shall be for the starving and diseased cats and for their destruction by chloroform or some other painless method."
RESCUING THE CATS. (Nottingham Journal, 12th October 1929) Nottingham Shelter’s Work for Past Year. At the annual meeting of the Nottingham Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats, held in the Elite Boardroom, yesterday it was disclosed that 1,121 cats had been admitted to the Shelter last year, also three small dogs, two guinea pigs and two canaries. Homes had been found for 21 cats. During the 23 years that the Shelter has been in existence, 35,747 animals have been cared for. Mr. J.T. Perry, who presided, said that the two great enemies of cats were dogs and thoughtless boys. He did not think that the same thought and care was bestowed on cats as other domestic animals. The speaker went on to explain that not only was the Shelter caring for lost and stray cats, endeavouring to find home for them and painlessly destroying them if that was impossible, but that the institution also undertook to board cats, while their owners were away, at an extremely moderate charge. The excellent work done by Mrs. Harper, who manages the shelter, was also referred to. The 1928 report was read by Miss M W. Watson Petty.
THE CATS’ SHELTER. (Belper News, 5th August 1904)
What shall we do with our cats? This a query which occasionally occupies the minds of families at the beginning of the holiday season; although more frequently, perhaps, at this time of the year the cat is disturbed by the problem, "What shall I do with myself?” and forthwith finds a solution in larceny. But these days of severe competition, and a crusade for taxing poor pussy,” retribution comes so swiftly that even with the endowment of nine lives the risk of final extinction is great. It is to be feared that too many persons leave their cats to their own resources in this way while they themselves bask in the sun at the seaside. There is no necessity for doing this when Sheffield possesses such an excellent institution as that at 106, Gell-street, which is known as the "Shelter for Lost and Starving Cats.” This is a place where pussy may be lodged, and special provision has now been provided there tor boarders during the holiday season. The family is usually a mixed one. There are cats who have wandered from the path of rectitude over many tiles at night, and have arrived at the shelter in a pitiable plight. But while no genuine case is refused relief, there is a proper system of classification by which the happy boarders are separated from stray visitors. Last year 2,300 cats and kittens were received, 43 were given away to good homes, 14 were claimed by owners, and 2,205 passed to the undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller returns. A heavy death roll certainly; but it is explained that a large proportion were ill and "not wanted,” and many were received for the express purpose of being despatched. The number brought in by owners as "not wanted” was over a thousand; under the head of "lost" there were even more, while those deserted or left in empty houses numbered 78. There is no doubt that the institution is doing a humane work, and as the shelter is largely supported by voluntary contributions the promoters are hoping for increased financial aid.
SHEFFIELD SHELTER FOR LOST AND STARVING CATS (Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 11th May 1912), 106, Gell Street. The First Public Annual Meeting of the above institution will be held in the Cutlers’ Hall, on Monday afternoon, May 13th, 3.30. Speaker, Mr. Arthur Coke, of London, Secretary of Our Dumb Friends’ League. All those who are interested in the welfare animals are requested to attend.
HOMESICKNESS OF THE LOST CAT (Yorkshire Evening Post, 14th May 1912)
We must amend our opinion of the domestic cat, for puss, seems, is the most delicate and sensitive animals. Sheffield has a shelter for lost and starving cats. In their report, just issued, the committee say they fear they must discontinue to take cats as boarders. "The cat," the report declares, "is a highly nervous animal, and its health is seriously affected by home-sickness. The presence of other cats in the same position appears to have a depressing effect, and it is remarkable how soon a cat under these conditions may become ill. A journey perhaps by train or through crowded streets, the strange surroundings, coupled with the sudden loss of friends, may soon reduce a healthy, happy cat to a heap of misery, and spite of all one can do sickness may set in and the cat be dead in a little more than two days. The experience of similar institutions (the report continues) in other cities where cats are boarded is very much the same, so one can but conclude that home surroundings are best for puss. If only she can be fed and housed there, even by strangers, it is safer than boarding out such a sensitive animal."
WORCESTER SOCIETY FOR PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS Worcestershire Chronicle, 4th March 1899
The report of the Home for Lost and Starving Dogs and Cats stated during the past year 27 dogs and cats were received into the Home. Of the 18 dogs five were returned to their owners, for one a good home was found, and 12 were destroyed by a speedy and painless death. The number has again been comparatively small owing to the muzzling order, which was still in force during a part of the year, and possibly also because the existence and situation of the home is not generally known. The financial statement showed that the donations and subscriptions amounted to £37 9s. 6d, and the expenditure, including the officer's salary, to £65 6s. 3d., leaving a deficit of £5 16s. 3d. compared with a balance in hand of £22 0s. 7d. at the end of 1897. The financial statement of the home for dogs and cats showed a balance band of £3 10s., compared with £1 16s. 6d. the previous year.